Good morning, Tupelo and beyond! Today is March 19th and it’s the 78th day of the year 2020. It’s Thursday and it’s time for your quote of the day.
“And when the night is cloudy,
There is still a light that shines on me,
Shine on until tomorrow, let it be.”
Check back each day for a new quote to help you get through the day. I chose a lyric to share today because music brings me great comfort during anxious times. As the spread of COVID-19 continues and fear grows, remember that light always overcomes darkness and sooner or later, we will overcome this pandemic, too.
Seasonal allergy sufferers, keep your antihistamines handy. It’s another medium-high day of pollen with the count dropping slightly to an 8.
Normally, this is where we would take a look at what’s happening today in your neck of the woods! However, due to guidelines from the CDC and urging from the nation’s President and our Governor, all events where 10 or more would gather are canceled. With that being said, there is just one event that is still on the books for today. We expect this to be the story for the rest of the week and likely next week as well, so we will use the Rundown as a way to keep you informed of the latest information and news regarding the coronavirus.
Today in Tupelo…
- The Hunger Coalition is offering free lunches for students at multiple locations today. The first lunch will be served at Chandler’s Temple CME Church at 11 am. The second meal can be picked up in the parking lot of the North Green Street Boys and Girls Club at 11:30 am. Another lunch will be given out at 12 pm at Tupelo Trace Apartments. The last meal will be given out at 12:30 pm at the Haven Acres Boys and Girls Club.
- Several housing complexes are being served meals through the Hunger Coalition and local churches. Contact Jason Martin for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 662-432-1894. Check out the list below.
- Hilldale Apartments – Calvary Baptist ChurchKirkwood Apartments – The Orchard
- Tupelo Housing N. Green – St. James Catholic Church, Hope Church, and Green Street Church of Christ
- Tupelo Housing Lawhon – Harrisburg Baptist Church
- Haven Acres – Hope Church
- Verona – Chandler’s Temple CME, Harrisburg Baptist Church
- Richey Apartments Mooreville – Auburn Baptist
- The Salvation Army will be providing grab n go lunches until further notice. All social services are expected to continue as usual.
- The St. Luke Food Pantry, located at 2653 S. Eason Blvd. will be open on Thursday, March 19th.
- Clients should not arrive before 7:30 a.m.
- We will stop accepting clients at 12:00 p.m.
- Clients stay in their vehicles. Keep windows rolled up.
- Have vehicle prepared to place food in the trunk or rear of the vehicle
- Have your photo ID ready to show
- Future distribution days are unknown and could be halted because of COVID-19
- This service is open to residents of Lee County
- Jimmy John’s and Renasant Bank are asking for $4 donations to help provide sandwich lunches to feed area children. You can drop your donation off at the Jimmy John’s location on South Gloster.
- Dollar General is reserving its first hour of business each day for seniors and people at a higher risk of serious complications from coronavirus. Most Dollar General locations open at 8 am, but some open an hour earlier at 7 am. Check with your closest DG to confirm their opening hour.
Other Happenings Near Tupelo Today
- First Baptist Church of New Albany is continuing to provide meals for students and others in need. You can contact them at (662) 534-5812 for more information.
- Lee County Meals on Wheels will continue delivery services.
- First Baptist Church of Shannon will be giving out blessing bags to any school-aged child in need from 9 am – 12 pm today in front of Shannon High School.
- Sherman Church of Christ will be giving free breakfast and lunches to students today until Friday from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm.
- Alcorn School District will be providing pickup meals for students in need from 9 am – 11 am outside each school’s cafeteria. If the meals cannot be picked up, contact your school’s office and delivery arrangements will be made.
- All area Food Giant locations will dedicate their first hour of business to seniors and those at a higher risk for serious complications from COVID-19. Most locations open at 7 am, however, some open at 6 am. Contact your local Food Giant to confirm their location’s opening times.
MUSIC & ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT IN TUPELO
Chance Stanley and Chance Moore are scheduled to perform live at Steele’s Dive tonight from 7 pm to 10 pm.
We’re here to keep YOU in the know, and we don’t want to miss a thing!
You can notify us about a missing listing or an upcoming event you want us to know about by:
- Tagging our Facebook page on a post
- Marking us as a co-host on your Facebook event
- Sending a direct message on our Facebook page
- Or by shooting us an email at email@example.com
For a more in-depth look at what’s coming up in our area, check out our extended calendar of events!
That’s a wrap for today, y’all! Have a fantastic day!
Listen to This Post